1 Timothy 3:1-7
1 Timothy 3:1
- A trustworthy saying on church leadership
- Theological principle: While church leaders can certainly desire to lead for the wrong reasons, because the office is so important, a desire to be a church leader is a noble desire.
1 Timothy 3:2-3
- The pastor and his character
- Theological Principle: Church leaders must be above reproach in this sense that there should be no part of their character that disqualifies them for
1 Timothy 3:4-5
- The pastor and his home life
- Theological Principle: Church leaders must demonstrate godliness in their family life as evidence that they are qualified to lead Gods’ church.
1 Timothy 3:6
- The pastor as an experienced Christian
- Theological Principle: New converts to Christian do not meet the requirements for church leadership. They have not yet proven their godly character and would be especially vulnerable to pride if elevated to leadership too quickly.
1 Timothy 3:7
- The pastor and his reputation with outsiders
- Theological Principle: The character of the church leader’s life should earn him the respect of even those outside the church.