- The need for church leaders
- Theological principle: Faithful church leaders are a necessary part of an ordered church.
- The elder’s family life
- Theological Principle: Church leaders must be beyond reproach in their marriage and in how they raise their children. Their children must demonstrate faithful or trustworthy conduct.
- The elder’s character
- Theological Principle: As a steward of God’s an elder’s character must be beyond reproach, not marked by any disqualifying pattern of sinfulness and full of patterns of godly living.
- The elder’s commission
- Theological Principle: Church leaders must hold to faithful teaching so that they might both teach sound doctrine to the church and stand against false teachers.